Today is the last day of Lent and I had my concert tonight for Glory House. I've known and been preparing for this concert for a couple months now...maybe about as long as Lent has been going. It is fitting that tonight both come to an end. The concert went really well and I'm glad I was a part of it. Getting into the church and having everything set up didn't go quite as I had thought it would. But in the end all went well and I think people enjoyed it. The last song I sang was the Haitian national anthem. I sang two of the many verses (there are about seven) in French. It was an amazing moment when I looked out and saw all the Haitians there singing along with a smile on their face. There was one older gentleman in the front row that was particularly into it and he had his hand in a fist and was moving it back and forth to the words. When I finished they all stood up to applaud. I didn't expect that type of a reaction, but didn't mind it either :) I hope to go back to the Haitian church sometime soon and bring other people along. Everyone that I have met is so nice and I want to keep the relationship between us going. Idalbert talked about us eating together right before we left and I am very excited about that! I told him to tell his wife that I would come over and help make everything. We also thought that having a cooking class/fundraiser would be a good idea for Glory House. The turnout tonight wasn't the biggest, but in some ways that made it feel more laid back, which was nice. My dad took video and pictures during the concert, so after I write I'm going to take a look. I am glad that I can sit on my couch now and look back on the concert and I am also glad to have been part of it.
This is the second year that I have observed Lent and done something during the time period. Last year I gave up Facebook and thought that was good just to unplug from "the network" for a while. This year the writing has been more reflective and much more of a spiritual practice. There were many nights that I would be tired and ready to go to bed and not want to do my writing, but opened up the laptop and did it anyway. I appreciate the examination of what happens during the day, what my thoughts are about it all, and then draw on any spiritual and/or sacred moments that were there as well. Writing each night has made me take note of things throughout the day more than I did before. If something funny or interesting would happen I would think, "I need to write about this tonight" were as before the moment would have passed without a second thought (most likely). The art of noticing is just that, an art. And one that we don't do very often. So much passes us by and we don't see it, don't hear it, and don't soak it in. Not that I am this all-seeing wise sage now after writing on a blog for a couple months, but it has brought out my self-examine more than before. I want to continue doing this and incorporate regular, maybe not daily, writing into my rhythm. I mentioned in one of my first writings that one of our pastors said that daily writing is a spiritual discipline and after doing it during this Lenten season I can agree. A discipline isn't something that is always easy or something you always want to do, but in doing so you grow and stretch.
To finish up tonight I will end with my favorite Compline prayer. It is for Wednesdays and is named after Felgild, who was a Celtic saint. It is short and the words speak to me with depth, peace, and comfort.
"Calm me, O Lord, as You stilled the storm.
Still me, O Lord, keep me from harm.
Let all the tumult within me cease.
Enfold me, Lord, in Your peace.
Father, bless the work that is done,
and the work that is to be.
Father, bless the servant that I am,
and the servant that I will be.
Thou Lord and God of power,
shield and sustain me this night.
I will lie down this night with God,
and God will lie down with me;
I will lie down this night with Christ,
and Christ will lie down with me;
I will lie down this night with the Spirit,
and the Spirit will lie down with me;
God and Christ and the Spirit,
be lying down with me.
The peace of God
be over me to shelter me,
under me to uphold me,
about me to protect me,
behind me to direct me,
ever with me to save me.
The peace of all peace
be mine this night
in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen."
No comments:
Post a Comment