Monday, April 18, 2011

We have a level basement

This is good news. Really good news. There are some cracks in our basement, so we had a guy come today to do some measurements and see if the cracks were from foundation movement. Thankfully, all the corners of the house are the level and there is no foundation movement! The guy was really nice and he didn't even charge us for coming out twice. If we need him to write something up he'd need to and he said for use to remember him if we do moved b/c he'd come out to check the new house. This is very, very good news with us thinking of selling our house. The cracks could be from a number of reasons from when the house was being built. We won't know why the cracks happen, but it is a load off Mike and my minds to know we won't have to shell out thousands of dollars to fix basement issues. We were talking tonight about what to do around the house to keep moving forward to put our house on the market. Yesterday, Anna spend the afternoon at my parent's house and she had a great time. Mike and I went out and looked at some houses with Julie. It was really good to do that and we felt encouraged by the end of the outing. The first three houses we looked at were not what we'd want. Julie also took us to see a house that is older and in foreclosure, so it is super cheap. It's been updated really well and we loved the layout. This house is in an older part of Lee's Summit, which we liked. Unfortunately, Julie doesn't think this house will be on the market for long. With it's price, layout, and condition she said these kinds of houses go quickly. Who knows.....maybe if that should be our house then it will still be there after we put our house on the market and get an offer. The last house we looked at was a good one, too. It has a lot of features we like...I liked the layout of the kitchen (which is a big feature for me), it had a finished family room/basement and still had storage in a sub-basement, and the backyard was big with a nice deck. Another thing I liked about this house is it already has three raised garden beds. The two things that were not impressive was a painted on window above the front door and in the master bedroom the ceiling was painted to look like a tiki roof. Nice touch if you are the island type, but Mike and I are not. Those things would be easy to paint over and be done with. Julie did say the floor plan of the last house we liked is easy to find, so if that particular house isn't on the market when we are ready then we can find another one very similar to it.
  So, I did pretty good yesterday during the Palm Sunday services. I actually got more choked up during the first service when Anna wasn't there b/c I stood at the back of the sanctuary and watched the kids walk up and down the isles. It was so precious. They were smiling, waving their palm branches, and everyone was clapping and cheering for them while the band played a song. For the second service we had a lot more kids and I ended up walking with Anna. She wasn't so sure about going into the service and wanted me to carry her. I didn't, but told her I'd walk next to her and hold her hand. When we went into the service she kept her palm branch down by her side and had a very serious look on her face. That didn't surprise me. She tends to be a bit tentative in situations like that, almost embarrassed. I was like that when I was a kid. We had some kids that flat out started crying and ran to their parents and Anna didn't do that. She stuck it out and went through with it all. Afterward she told Mike that she had a lot of fun and has talked about it a couple times since then. I guess her outward reaction does not always equal how she's feeling inside. Aren't we all like that?
  Tomorrow I want to take my sheet music for the Sara Groves song I'm singing at the concert this week up to church to practice on the piano in the green room. So far playing this song on the piano and singing it has gone really well. I hope it all goes well this Saturday. I'm off to read books with Anna and put her to bed. Bon lannwit, zanmi mwen. (Good night, my friend ala Creole)

No comments:

Post a Comment