Today was a gloomy day. There was a storm front that came through and brought with it unseasonably cool weather and gross misty rain. Can't complain too much b/c on the other side of the state St. Louis is getting pounded with some serious storms and hail. The rest of the week, weekend, and into next week is supposed to be cooler and rainy. It's a bit of a downer to see the extended forecast and know that for the next week it's going to be gray, cooler, and soggy. Too bad we don't live in San Diego where the weather is almost always sunny and in the mid-seventies.
Next Saturday is the annual Women's Solitude Retreat out at Powell Gardens. Last year it was rainy and gloomy, so I hope this year the weather will be nicer. This will be the fourth year I've gone to the solitude retreat and I am really looking forward to it. After learning more about being in solitude and practicing it more in the past few years it is a welcomed break to have a few hours to myself out in the gardens. We used to have a membership to Powell Gardens and I miss that. When we did have a membership I went out there a couple times by myself and really enjoyed it. The Harvest Garden is really cool and I look forward to seeing it this year. When they put it in two years ago I remember thinking that it was cool, but that it would be amazing once things grew and matured. Isn't that similar to how we all are? After a little time, growth, and change more beauty comes out that was always there to being with.
This afternoon I practiced a couple songs for my concert this weekend and it went well. It was nice to play the Sara Groves song on an actual piano. I need to go through it a couple times tonight before going to bed, but I think all should go well on Saturday. It's been nice to get back to playing the piano again. I know I should practice more regularly to keep up on it all, but that doesn't so much happen all the time. It would be great if I could just be amazing at the piano, guitar, and any other instrument I'm interested without practicing....but that's just silly.
I am listening to a group on Pandora called "The Civil Wars" and like them. I need to spend more time with their music, but from what I've heard it's good stuff. The Pandora station is good b/c it plays music that is similar to The Civil Wars and that works out to be folky, bluesy stuff that I love. I'd be in heaven if I could go to a bluegrass and folk music festival somewhere...preferably in Appalachia somewhere. It would be good music and good people watching. Not to mention I bet I could score some serious moonshine. Something Mike and I are thinking of doing this summer is going out to Seattle to hear the Indigo Girls in concert. We haven't seen them for a long time and have always wanted to go to Seattle. I might have to look up episodes of "Man vs. Food" to see if he's gone to Seattle and what restaurants we should go to. I like the idea of taking a trip with just the two of us before this next baby comes. If it works out for us to do that I will be VERY excited. Plus the Indigo Girls concert is at the Seattle Zoo, which I think makes it that much cooler. Mike's brother, Russell, and his family just got back from a trip to Seattle and from looking at their pictures on FB it looked awesome.
We have an open day tomorrow. Not sure what that will shake out to be. Maybe I'll go out to Longview Lake with Anna for a bit and let her run around. I know she'll be asking me to go to the park or play outside anyway. Today at Lakeland we were talking about having a team appreciation picnic in June out at Longview and I need to go scout out a good shelter to reserve, so maybe we'll do that. I also thought that we could go down and meet Mike for lunch somewhere. We haven't done that for a while and it's always a good time when we do. I'll have to see what his day looks like tomorrow. He worked a long day today, so hopefully tomorrow is better for him.
Today our fence was repaired from the hail storm and a snow plow gone crazy a couple years ago. To explain the crazy snow plow...it was during the winter after a big snow a couple years ago and there was a plow pushing snow to clear our alley way behind our house. We think when the plow pushed the snow there was so much that is broke in a back panel of our fence. In wanting to fix things in order to put our house on the market getting the fence fixed was next on the list. It looks good and I'm glad we got that done.
I'm going to go let Lucy out, hope she doesn't bark, get a drink of water, practice my song a few times, and then head to bed. It's weird to think that we are in Holy Week and for Lent I will have four more days of writing to do before the season is over. Huh. There will be more reflection on this writing practice later in the week I am sure of it. For now I say good night.
No comments:
Post a Comment