Today was my dad's funeral. It was at the national military cemetery in Leavenworth. The weather was partly cloudy and in the mid-40s. I thought it would be colder than it actually was. The service was very nice. There were two navy representatives standing at attention when we arrived to the open-air shelter. The urn/box with my dad's ashes, a flag, and a flower spray were already there. Paul Pfannenstiel spoke and did a nice job. It was very hard when taps played and when the soldiers unwrapped the flag, spread it out, and then folded it back up again. Once the flag had been inspected and it was just as it should be a soldier presented it to my mom. Throughout the service I was struck with the question, "Is this really happening?". Even as I type this now I almost can't believe that it happened and that my dad is dead. The reality of his death is something that I've thought about a lot and almost keep having to remember that it happened. After the service was done some workers took the urn/box up to the grave site to bury it. We waited until they were done and then went up to see where my dad was buried. It is in a nice spot. On a hill by a nice, big tree overlooking the grounds. It will take about 30 days for the headstone to be finished, so we'll go back out there when it is done. Most likely around Memorial Day and his birthday. Tomorrow is the memorial service. That will be something to experience. The weather is supposed to be bad, so I hope that doesn't keep a bunch of people away. It's just a lot. A lot to take in and process. A lot to experience. A lot to think about. With my dad having melanoma for as long as he did, knowing that it was spreading and progressing, I always knew his death was going to happen. I knew the day would come that he'd be gone. Now that that has happened I am left with the ongoing remembrance of his death. Still feel relief that he is at rest and not in pain anymore, but not quite settled with him being gone. It's weird that he's dead. Weird that his ashes are now buried up on a hill in Leavenworth. Weird that tomorrow we'll have his memorial service. As weird as it is that's where we are. That's the reality of it all. Chris said tonight that death is the ultimate inconvenience. It sure changes things.
My dad would have liked the funeral. If it would have been for someone else and he would have attend as a guest, he would have really liked everything that happened. I'm thankful for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment